Did you see the announcment about a new award we gave out this year?
We worked with a patron, John Fairbairn to rename and rebrand an old award. Last year we had an award called “Harper of the Day”, which we renamed after John’s mother, and is now called the “Charlotte Fairbairn Award”.
You might be asking, as I did to John, “who is Charlotte Fairbairn?”He wrote back that “Charlotte Judd Fairbairn was a person who exemplified dedication. Once she determined that she was going to do something, she threw her heart and soul into it, overcoming all odds and difficulties. One of her favorite phrases was, ‘If it’s worth doing, it’s worth doing my best.’ (Which is now printed on the front of the beautiful glass trophy) It is that kind of dedication which this award recognizes. Let’s just say it represents ‘the greatest effort to do something well for the enjoyment of others’”.
During our email exchange, I could tell that John was a gifted writer, and I asked him if he would be interested in publishing a piece about his mother for our website. I suppose I should say that I expected a very well-written piece, but what I didn’t expect was the emotional roller coaster. I found myself outraged over outdated medical procedures, laughing about a fire extinguisher …and then trying really hard not to cry at my desk. I definitely needed a tissue at the end.
Charlotte had such an amazing life, and John has written an incredible and lengthy tribute to his mother. What follows will be an eight-part series, and one part will be posted every Tuesday at 7:00 am until October 31, 2017.
I hope you will read along to the very end. You’ll be glad you did.
Table of Contents
- Early Life – Publish date: September 12, 2017
- Marriage, a Baby, and the Great War – Publish date: September 19, 2017
- World War II, and a Change in Occupation – Publish date: September 26, 2017
- A New Baby …with Complications – Publish date: October 3, 2017
- Home At Last …To More Tragedy – Publish date: October 10, 2017
- Pulling on Bootstraps – Publish date: October 17, 2017
- …And a New Uniform Too – Publish date: October 24, 2017
- Epilogue – Publish date: October 31, 2017